Thursday, July 22, 2010

Ich bin...

Oh my goodness it took a while to remember how to add a post to this thing...Halo! Ich lehrne groß Deutsch---except that's not a real sentence at all--but I am learing German! My class of 15 is so sweet because we're all the beginners in a sea of proficients. Meine Lehernin, Frau Annette, ist super! She is patient and uses a lot of sign language when she speaks.

  1. A typical day in Berlin für Blair is as follows:
    This is mandatory--Wake up later then planned (7.30) and decide between breakfast or showering...
  2. Hop on the U-Bahn with about 20 classmates (unless #1 went too well) and transfer until it drops us off near school.
  3. Fumble through Deutschkurs A1 with much needed short breaks from 9-13:30 (Mace, they use military time) then walk to the Mensa for a cheap lunch with everyone
  4. 15:30-21:00 explore the city with any new friends.
  5. Get some dinner around 9pm, whether that be Jogurt und Granola oder the best Turkish food in Krezburg.
  6. Head home after the sun goes down, do homework, decide between sleep and shower, go to bed later than planned
    It has been great, the weekend starts tomorrow!


Food I like from Berlin:

  • Cappuccinos mit milche...
  • Crepes mit Nutella
  • Imam
  • Brotwurst in a bun (I think...I actually just pointed to what a girl in front of me got)
  • Ice cream--their ice cream is soooo good!
  • Dönner
  • Pork with cheese and bread--actually I didn't really like it, I just realized I haven't eatten very much stereotypical German food...
  • The veggie patty I just ate in the cafeteria

    There is also a legit burrito place that I will try before I leave...


Yesterday, some of us went to the East Side Gallery, which is the longest strip of remaining wall in the city. The city comissioned artists to paint on it and it. is. powerful. It is a 12 ft high wall the length of two city blocks with beautiful artwork about freedom on it. The wall fell on August 13th at 11pm because at 8pm a dioplat on a tv interview said he thought it would be possible to one day cross freely from east to west. The people watching assumed that meant it was crossable right then, so they rushed to the wall. When the guards had to choose between killing the people and giving up the fight, they gave up and the people literally broke the wall the the ground. It brought tears to my eyes to imagine the young and old pouring over the top and pushing through the bricks to freedom for the first time in 30 years-- like taking a gulp of fresh air when you've been stuck at the bottom of the ocean.


I think I will head to the Tiergarten now and walk around the forest...the many sandy river-beaches are on the list too. Berlin not only has the coolest builgings (especially the newer government buidings), but beautiful parks and gardens as well. The time passes so quickly, that I will miss meals without a second thought--and you know that's rare.


So here's to SORE legs and expensive water in an airconditioning-less city! I love it more than I thought, and am glad I have a month to get to know it. My study abroad group (CEA) is going to Prauge tomorrow for the weekend, so I won't be able to write until I get back, but I love you!


I'll load pictures when I get back :) look it up online for now


German lesson for the day: Woher kommst du? Ich komme aus die USA.

No comments:

Post a Comment