Monday, July 19, 2010

Willkommen in Deutschland!!

Halo to all! After finally getting a tour of the campus (in German) and taking a language placement test (which I left blank), I can tell you about my last few days here!! Apparently Berliners speak German on a regular basis and are very good at it. (That was sarcasm) Apparently I was silly to think I would be able to understand them... (That was serious). I am safe and happy and have found friends--there are about 70 of us taking German, though most people already have a lot of experience with it. They are sweet and repeat things for me, and explain things well so I've picked up a bit even in the last days!
I don't know where to begin--my roomate, Liz, is from Pennsylvania and is very nice and outgoing. I will upload pictures another day since I didn't know to bring my connection cords, but as there are about 10 computers for the entire university, don't hold your breath. the students in my program are from all over--London, South Africa, Brazil, USA, Sweden and Bulgaria. Everyone is friendly for the most part, and it's been fun getting to know everyone (though I feel guilty they all know English). I can't wait to see what it's like in a month!
The first day Liz and I explored the limits of the UBahn (the Subway system) and walked around the university area--we sat and watched people play frisbee and fußball and ate bratwurst around Alexanderplatz! Berlin is so spread out and the sidewalks so grand that there are never people bumping in to you. And there is WAY more than 8 hrs daylight--The sun didn't set until 9,30!
The second day, my CEA study abroad program went on a bus tour around the city--the city is HUGE! We got to see so many buildings I've only seen in my professors' slide shows. Die Altes Museum, die BrandenburgerTor of course, die Bank that Gehry designed, und die wall and Reisctag and various embassies. I even saw the GSW building poking out in the distance, but apparently it wasn't cool enough for the tour. Then we went to a flea market to find some bikes, but they were all likely stolen and it broke my heart to imagine walking outside to a busted lock! We'll try a second hand place. Tonight is the boat tour!
Our apt is on the 10th floor (the elevators only go to every third floor haha) and we have a balcony and kitchen and our own rooms. We sleep with the windows open because there is no a\c and it is sooo nice outside. I can't wait to start class tomorrow (though I fear it will all be in German)!
I'm going to head out now, try to find a frisbee, but don't worry about me anymore! It is more overwhelming than I thought it would be to not speak the language, but soon I will be fine! (I know how to say "where is the ladies room" and "what is that" and "that is a big suitcase"!)And it has just encouraged me to learn more languages (especially Spanish) so I can make people feel more comfortable if they don't speak English well. I think I'll get a children's book to help me start out. Two people in CEA, Josh (who worked at Pinecove) and Bethany, just finished another 5 week course and can get around fine. I'm journaling every night so I can remember more details later!
I love you all!!! I miss you and am glad to know you're reading this!

No comments:

Post a Comment